Saturday, May 18, 2013

Sight Word Rings

I LOVE good teaching conferences. Like, the kind that makes you want to rush home and start up so many projects because your head is just spinning with all the great ideas you learned. Last Friday was just that! I had the chance to go to Kim Adsit's "DI for the Little Guy" conference on differentiated instruction while she was here presenting in Michigan, and I'd dare to say it was the B-E-S-T PD I've had the opportunity to attend, well, ever.

Kim (you've probably seen her on TpT or her Kindergals blog) was such a great presenter and really just says it like it is when it comes to all the little daily moments in our classrooms. I laughed and nodded my head in understanding all day long, and the best part was how many great ideas she shared that I can take right back to my own classroom. 

I also met another really great Kim that day too! Kimberly from Funky First Grade Fun is a Michigan blogger and was so kind to answer my questions about blogging and encourage me to give it a try. I was so thankful to get to meet her!

Ok, back to the conference... and a freebie for you! Kim talked about using sight word rings with daily practice for differentiating sight word learning. I have a few kinders who are still struggling with mastery of all their 40 kindergarten sight words we teach (we use Scott Foresman Reading Street and all our words come from there) so I made up some cute word rings to help. You can download it free at my TpT store.

Every morning (or during our rest & read time after lunch), I call my Tier 2 & 3 kids over one at a time to read me their words, practice any they missed, and add more words as they've mastered all words on their rings. They keep these in their book boxes so they can read and practice them throughout the day. My kinders are loving their word rings and reading them all the time, and I'm happy to say many of them have already been able to add new words to their rings. Woo hoo!

Have a great weekend everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Hooray! Love your blog design! So glad you started a blog. I hope you love it as much as I do. I've met so many teacher/blogger/friends. I'll post about your new blog sometime within the next week...as long as it's ok with you. :)
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love that!! You are so sweet... hope you're having a great Monday! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh Kristin, thanks so much for sharing! Cannot wait to get started!!!
    Do you practice daily 5? I want to give it a try and the word rings will be perfect for it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete